Skip to main content

Part-2...Munnar

  From Cochin we were headed to the green valleys of Munnar. It is a hill station unlike anything I've ever seen. The tea plantations covered the whole hillside like an unending green carpet. As we moved closer to the interiors of the hill it started to unravel it's mysteries. We found out that beneath it's impenetrable cover there were several plants with many medicinal properties and one of the most rich animal diversity.
Kerala spice are famous all over the world. Many of these spices act as medicines. I heard people say that there when Lakshman, younger brother of Lord Ram, was injured Hanuman uprooted the entire mountain and after Lakshman's treatment from the "jadibuti" Hanuman left it in Kerala itself. This is thought to be the mythological reason for this huge variety of medicinal plants in Kerala. People say sarcastically that Hanuman ji forgot to keep it back in the Himalayas.
Apart from the beautiful tea plantation and spices, the hills also surround numerous lakes. These lakes with water so pure that it may tempt you to drink it and the breez so alluring that you may want to take a bite. There were several dams which made some good tourist spot, but being a science student I'm not so pleased with the idea of constructing dams.
After a heartfelt journey of 3 days to and fro the mountain top and valley we were again on the move to another place...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chronicles of Himachal, Ch-1

The Hardest Part "I want to go to Himachal with my friends." I said to my mom. She turned around and reminded herself of the first time I said the same thing to her.  The first time I asked her for a permit, it was a college trip which eventually got cancelled. Ever since then all our plans to cross Delhi border failed miserably. This was our last hope. A trip that had no strings attached to the college, a trip with my 4 best friends.  Mom stood there for a while, staring at the floor and then she looked at me and said "Ok". This small word meant the world to me. Little did I know that in her mind, she was positive that the plan would never take flight, like the ones made before.  As the time passed and we booked our tickets and made arrangements for the trip, the darkest fears of my parents resurfaced. The thought that this time the plan might work was disturbing them. As the day came closer, they would very often call me for short pep talks about how this dre...

Chronicles of Himachal, Ch-2

The tragedy The bus was ready and so were the people inside. I could feel the rush inside of me. Standing outside the door, I gazed at the stairs. They were covered with blue carpet. I stepped inside the bus. It had a peculiar smell, smell of adventure perhaps. It was around 8 in the night, when the engine roared and we took off towards our destiny. Was it good or was it bad, it was yet to be discovered.  I sat with Khando, a girl with an independent mind and a sanctified soul. Her experience and knowledge made her the perfect candidate for the Columbus of our ship. Behind me was Verma. Her look was just a cover, for what she was capable of could instill fear in people. Beside her was Tanya, the girl with the power of persuasion. Her voice was an enchantment which could make men believe that sun can rise from the west. On our right was Indirayani. Her strength, both physical and mental was unbeatable. She was our Iron Lady. Lastly, I was there. On our way the bus stopped for ...

WHAT IF?

What if, time was a friend That danced to my beats A fellow compeer till the end And not a chain round my wrist What if, the arrow never betrayed the bow, And stayed together not hurting a soul Better still, stayed with Cupid For love to blossom forever more What if, dreams were real And reality, a nightmare Which faded with a drop of sunshine Never to return, never to fear What if, all this were true Your time, actions and thoughts were controlled by you Then perhaps, failure would just be Somebody you once knew. -kaush