Skip to main content

Chronicles of Himachal, Ch-2

The tragedy
The bus was ready and so were the people inside. I could feel the rush inside of me. Standing outside the door, I gazed at the stairs. They were covered with blue carpet. I stepped inside the bus. It had a peculiar smell, smell of adventure perhaps. It was around 8 in the night, when the engine roared and we took off towards our destiny. Was it good or was it bad, it was yet to be discovered. 
I sat with Khando, a girl with an independent mind and a sanctified soul. Her experience and knowledge made her the perfect candidate for the Columbus of our ship. Behind me was Verma. Her look was just a cover, for what she was capable of could instill fear in people. Beside her was Tanya, the girl with the power of persuasion. Her voice was an enchantment which could make men believe that sun can rise from the west. On our right was Indirayani. Her strength, both physical and mental was unbeatable. She was our Iron Lady. Lastly, I was there.
On our way the bus stopped for a break. By this time we were out of Delhi, on a highway, savoring food that we always dreamt to have together. Our platter had rice, curry, chappati, rasgulla, and everything nice. Then we filled up our stock with candies and bubblegums, a basic necessity and went back to the bus and on our way to Himachal.
At 1 in the night while everyone was asleep, the bus stopped for refueling. Since I and Verma were awake and hungry again, we grabbed a cup of vanilla ice-cream from a nearby stall. As we stepped outside we could feel the cold breeze right on our face, a reminder that we were approaching our destination.
The bus seat was comfortable but unlike others I found myself in a position where I could not sleep no matter how hard I tried. So I gave up on sleeping only to become a protector to all the four sleeping beauties.
It was 2 in the night. Out of the blues, the bus stopped again, but this time in a police station. On its entrance gate the board read " Punjab Police, Kurali". Must be a routine check, I thought. The time passed but the bus was still there. After a few minutes the air conditioners stopped and the mosquitoes buzzed with happiness. The passengers inside were in deep sleep. The deathly silence was at first disconcerting, but as the time passed this silence broke. A few people now started realizing that something was not right. They went down to check what it was, for the bus to stop for so long. Although I was a silent observer witnessing everything, I had no intention of getting down the bus and into the darkness awaiting outside. Instead I went to the driver. "My master is on his way. There is nothing to worry about." he said. With this I went back to my seat. I turned around, only to find that Verma had her eyes wide open. She asked me what happened and I told her what I knew. We waited for an hour, but nothing changed. We went to the driver again. He kept on repeating - "My master will come and will get us out of this place".  Now we were worried. The driver pretended to know nothing and we were left in uncertainty.
It was 6 in the morning. Now everyone was awake and on their toes. Although there were many people on the bus; a college group, a family and some solo travelers, none of them had any information about last night. The 5 of us were anxious and went to the driver, this time with a plan to interrogate him firmly. He had no answer. All that he said was "My master will come and get us freed". His words were just the same every time. We were aggrieved at the situation and at the nasty driver who pretended to know nothing. We reckoned that it was useless to talk to him so we went to the policemen this time. They were nice people. "We regret that this is happening but the rules are meant to be followed. We can not let the bus leave until he pays Rs 56000 fine. The driver is not licensed. All we can do is offer a cup of tea to all the fellow travelers." they said. Now this was interesting. One our very first trip, we were caught by the police, who offered us tea. A memory that can not faint for the rest of our lives. The hot cup of tea was indeed refreshing and a perfect way to start this extraordinary day. 
We knew waiting in the police station would not bring us any fruit. We had already wasted a lot of time. The five of us, along with another college group of 10 students decided that we will leave and take local bus to travel till we reach Himachal. At first, the thought of leaving the safe ambience of the police station was a bit daunting but we were left with no choice so we took off for another adventure, a life-changing one this time...

Comments

  1. Omg! Honestly speechless!
    Do i actually deserve all this tareef? Love you kaushu! Thanks for being a part and making my journey so beautiful!
    You sure are an inseparable part of my thought book! 💋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wrote what I felt and yes, you deserve every word.
      Love you too.

      Delete
  2. Maa I actually have to google some worda which u wrote. Hehehe...
    Y don't u write novel or aomething like that. U have great skills. Y wasting it on zoology

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Gunjan. It means a lot to me. And I did'nt waste any time in Zoology. I got to meet wonderful people such as you. You guys are my inspiration.

      Delete
  3. Dude I can not stop laughing on reading this. Every word reminded me of our situation... Go ahead waiting for Ch-3 😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude I can not stop laughing on reading this. Every word reminded me of our situation... Go ahead waiting for Ch-3 😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well written, nice and crisp. You should write more..

    Tea with Punjab police eh, that’s so nice of ‘em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You mamaji!
      I try to write whenever I get time. Those people were nice indeed.

      Delete
  6. i felt as if i m also present in dat every described word of ur journey..keep going dear😘. marvellous creation💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Anurag!
      I will write as long as you guys are there to read it.

      Delete
  7. This is like reliving the whole episode of that police station and how can we forget the annoying smile of that driver😒..well written Kaush ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Verma!
      We would never forget it. A memory preserved like a fossil.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Flight

Weight of a thousand words on quaint pages With black ink dancing on the white floor The enchanting aroma of the binding Shrouding the stuff of magic and amour A dream of midsummer night and The bloody knife through Ceaser's heart A thing of science and the secret of infinite The heir of the rich carries it all The muser, the miser,  The popper and his hopper Imagined the wonders, the four walls hide The bliss, he thinks won't be amiss If he was there and his dreams took flight Not all are fortunate to attain  the joy of learning.There are  few  who  only dream of it.

The ghost of the past

  While we cannot live without history, we need not live within it either. -Argumentative Indian, Amartya Sen Diving deep into history is like chasing a sea monster. You hear stories and accept it for what it is. The next thing you know is that you are leading an armada to hunt the moster. From the Israel - Palestine issue to Pakistani transgressions in Indian territory- all are a product of historical disputes. I must admit that my knowledge is limited to comment on history but my admission is not enough. (I’m insignificant since my thoughts won’t influence many. Maybe you, the reader, are the only one who would know them.) Unlike me, some people have power- like media or leaders of various organizations- who claim to know everything. I don't doubt their skills or wisdom. They go through umpteen sources before concluding. I'm more worried that history has many versions. Which to believe and which to discard is chosen to suit one's convenience. Many a time the c

WHAT IF?

What if, time was a friend That danced to my beats A fellow compeer till the end And not a chain round my wrist What if, the arrow never betrayed the bow, And stayed together not hurting a soul Better still, stayed with Cupid For love to blossom forever more What if, dreams were real And reality, a nightmare Which faded with a drop of sunshine Never to return, never to fear What if, all this were true Your time, actions and thoughts were controlled by you Then perhaps, failure would just be Somebody you once knew. -kaush